Members of Note: Ronnie Chan Funds Restoration of Forbidden City Site
This October, China Heritage Fund Founder Ronnie Chan celebrated the opening of the newly restored Hall of
Rectitude Prayer Compound in the Forbidden City.
The compound was built by Emperor Kangxi in 1697 for the practice and
preservation of Tibetan Buddhism, the religion of Qing emperors. This was the
second palace complex in the Forbidden City restored by the China Heritage Fund
in collaboration with the Palace
Museum. In 2005, the Fund
completed restoration of the Palace
of Established Happiness,
built by the Qianlong Emperor as his private retreat and art gallery. Both
palace compounds were burned to the ground in 1923. Chan and Restoration
Project Director Happy Harun described the restorations in a talk at the Asia Society
in Hong Kong on October 10.