I am pleased to announce that Dominic Ng will be the next Chair of the Committee of 100. He will take over leadership of the Committee in May. Dominic has been a C-100 member since 2000 and is the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of East West Bancorp, as well as an active philanthropist and civic leader in Southern California.
Consistent with our mission to promote the full integration of Chinese Americans, the Committee of 100 proudly endorses the nomination of U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke to be our next Ambassador to China. On behalf of C-100, I wrote a letter to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to express our support.
In my letter, I presented Secretary Locke’s superb qualifications and the case for this historic nomination: “Secretary Locke’s illustrious career in public service has been an inspiration to all Chinese Americans. As the nation’s first and only Chinese American Governor, the Secretary is the first Chinese American nominated to the role of chief diplomat to China. The Senate’s full confirmation would mark another milestone in Chinese American history and signal our country’s firmest embrace of diversity, opportunity and the American Dream.”
On May 12, Secretary Locke will be a speaker at our 20th Annual Conference in New York City. We believe his reflections as a Chinese American and a former member of the Committee will greatly inform our audience about the state of U.S.-China relations.
Joining Secretary Locke as featured conference speakers will be these exemplary individuals:
- Charlene Barshefsky, former U.S. Trade Representative
- Cai Guo-Qiang, celebrated Chinese artist
- Laura Cha, member, Executive Council of the Government of Hong Kong
- Shelly Lazarus, Chairman, Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide
- Vikram S. Pandit, CEO, Citigroup
- Henry M. Paulson, Jr., former U.S. Treasury Secretary
- Stephen Roach, former Chairman, Morgan Stanley Asia
- James Rogers, President and CEO, Duke Energy
- Yu Keping, author, Democracy is a Good Thing
- Jesse Wang, Executive Vice President, China Investment Corporation
We hope you can join us for this historic Annual Conference. Registration and agenda details are on our conference website.
Committee members and friends also are invited to our April 25 C-100 Leadership Scholarship Program Symposium and Awards Dinner in Beijing, co-hosted by Tsinghua University. See “Upcoming Events” in this issue for details.
For more information visit Committee of 100 at www.committee100.org.